[TowerTalk] Is Rohn TB3 Thrust bearing OK to use with "flat spots" on bearings?

John W xnewyorka at hotmail.com
Tue May 28 10:09:10 EDT 2013

I have an old Rohn TB3 that came with a used tower I bought. Cosmetically it looks good and spins without any unusual noise, but it feels like the bearings are somewhat oval in shape instead of round. It's hard to explain, but it's almost like a sort of ratcheting effect, like there is a little notch every few degrees, so that it almost 'clicks' into place, but without a clicking sound.

I haven't tested it with a load, but I assume it would probably spin OK with only a very small increase in friction.

Can it be used like this, or does it need to be repaired?  If it needs to be repaired, how does it come apart and where can I obtain replacement bearings for it?

On a related note, is it recommended to use stainless bolts for the set screws that hold the mast in place, or galvanized?  (The originals are gone.)

Thanks,

John

W2ID