[TowerTalk] 1-5/8 inch Andrew Hardline stored outside in New England for 5 years - still good?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed May 29 22:36:46 EDT 2013

On 5/29/2013 9:32 AM, William Hein wrote:
> I have some 1-5/8 inch Andrew Hardline (LDF7-50A) which has been stored outside in New England for 5 years - is it still good and if not can it be rehabilitated?

I'd say it depends on whether water has penetrated it, which in turn
depends on whether the ends were weatherproofed before that 5 years
began. It also depends, of course, on whether it might have taken
lightning hits.

This is a great application for using a VNA (vector network analyzer) to
measure loss and do a TDR sweep (Time Delay Reflectrometry) to look for
damage. To do TDR, you'll need connectors on at least one end, and to do
loss, you'll need connectors on both ends.

If you don't own a VNA, ask around your neighbors -- there's a good
chance that someone you know owns one and will volunteer to sweep it for
you.

73, Jim K9YC