[TowerTalk] Cadweld One Shot Source

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Nov 5 17:15:42 EST 2013

On 11/5/2013 4:28 PM, Bob Farkaly wrote:
> Checked them out earlier. Their website features the Cadweld One Shot Plus
> that requires the use of a $135.00 controller for ignition. I was hoping to
> be able to use the same lighter I use to light my propane torch and skip the
> controller.

The ones I used (3 cartons of 'em) use a small ignition charge that
could be lit with a match, although I'd not recommend that, even wearing
leather gloves.  They were easily lit using a propane or Oxyacetylene
torch. Yes, sparklers do work, although if not right on the end can be
awkward.  I'd purchase the ones that are easy to ignite and not
experiment. These things are dangerous and can burn a hole through a
concrete floor.
This is what I did: http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm  I
usually purchase them by the carton, but the new tower will only take
about a half dozen to thoroughly tie it into the present ground system.
IIRC they were around $10 give or take.  No special igniter required.
They went by the name "One Shot" which is now often used as a generic.
So they may be a one shot charge, but not the true "One Shot"

73

Roger (K8RI)