[TowerTalk] rigging for lifting a heavy mast?

Mark Pride mpridesti at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 8 09:55:46 EST 2013

Technique I have used successfully is the clamp just above the center of gravity keep it bottom heavy going up, and with a basketball hoop (without the net), feed the mast up through the hoop which is mounted to the top of the gin pole(separate clamp that secures the hoop to the top of gin pole) to keep the mast reasonably vertical and controlled and place into the top of the tower. The clamp is used primarily to keep the rope from slipping up the mast and provides a nice stop for the mast as it goes into the tower.  All this assumes the gin pole is greater than 1/2 the length of the mast.

Standard gin poles typically come with a 12 ft. inch heavy wall aluminum tube, for a mast this yours, I would change that to 15 ft or so.  Also best to have a removable pulley head  (someone makes those at a reasonable price) that you can mount on the end of either the 12 or longer alum. tube for the gin pole as necessary.  The gin pole bracket that attaches to the tower leg of course has to match the OD of the gin pole to work properly. With my 15 ft. long gin pole, I have easily installed 24 ft. masts that are quite heavy.  To save the human energy side, I use an electric winch for all my heavy lifting.

Regards,
Mark, K1RX