[TowerTalk] Tower Guy Anchors

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Nov 9 21:32:11 EST 2013

On 11/9/2013 5:47 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 11/9/13 9:28 AM, Michael Tope wrote:
>> Thanks, Jim:
>>
>> Both AB Chance-Hubbell and MacLean Power Systems sell them for utility
>> applications:
>>
>> http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/anchoring/expanding/
>>
>> http://www.macleanpower.com/products/item.asp?ITEM_ID=2087
>>
>> Except for the W8JI site, I have never seen any mention of them as an
>> option for ham radio towers.
>>
>> I noticed that one of the entries in the table you linked to showed a
>> depth of 73ft! I can't imagine that would be the requirement to get a
>> good anchor, so perhaps that's how deep they had to go to get into the
>> soil conditions that are listed.
>>

> yeah, that's weird.. Maybe it's because "dig a hole and fill it with
> concrete" is something one can do with pick and shovel and little
> training.
>
> Driving the real deal anchors 20 feet in with hydraulics is a
> specialized operation.  Most structural engineers know about these
> things, so if a ham was in a situation where they were talking to a
> PE, and the screw in anchor was appropriate, they'd mention it.
>

>   They're used a LOT for utility poles, which often have enormous side
> loads.  The same hydraulic rig that runs the auger for the pole can be
> used to drive the anchor.

When I lived just South of Breckenridge MI. the HV line ran E/W across
the fields.  The distribution line ran under it Ours was about the 3rd
tap on a line that must have been 12 miles or more. From that line to
the pole at the edge of our lot was a "maximum span" and that was one
honkin big screw anchor back guying the power pole. I think it was
around 1976 when we had the big ice storm.

To the West of us there was over half a mile of distribution line flat
on the ground with the poles snapped off. There was close to 3" of ice
(total 6" diameter) on these lines. They didn't stand a chance. It
pulled that big anchor to the point that I expected the pole to break,
but it didn't. OTOH that line came across the field at less than 3 feet
off the ground and the pole looked like a bow at full draw.

I had never seen power lines close to 6" in diameter from ice and have
never since, either.

We were close to two weeks with out power, but had a big fireplace and a
miniature fireplace (barbecue) in the kitchen.

I thought that at least we're going to have hot food, that is, until I
fired up the barbecue.  I threw the pan out in the snow. Both flues were
full of ice.

I never lost an antenna, but the ends of the elements on the big KLM
monobanders were pointing nearly straight down.

73

Roger (K8RI)