[TowerTalk] Best coaxial to make Chokes

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Nov 13 02:30:51 EST 2013

On 11/13/2013 12:07 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 11/12/2013 8:20 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
>> may be wrong, but I've always looked at the solenoid coil as if it
>> forms two resonances. The choke itself forms a parallel resonant
>> frequency with a rather high Q So it may work on one or two bands and
>> it also forms a second resonant frequency with the overall coax
>> length which can be worse than no choke at all.

True, but I was trying to keep it simple. <:-)) I mean no disrespect to
anyone, but It at least helps some get a basic understanding that were
not familiar with the concept.

It's like me, trying to explain what I did for a living (computer
systems Project Manager).  It didn't take long at all to see that glazed
look in their eyes.  <:-))  I just tell them I used to head up projects
like the ACA failure, but mine worked<:-))  If I'd said we expect a few
glitches, I'd have been out of a job.<LOL>

73

Roger (K8RI)