[TowerTalk] K9YC vertical dipole test....

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Nov 14 15:21:54 EST 2013

On 11/14/2013 8:49 AM, John Frazier wrote:
> Jim....
>
> I noted the "simple" vertical half-wave dipole configuration on your
> site.  Is this the type used in your test?

Yes

> Also, do you feel the choking is sufficient to "eliminate" the rest of
> the feed-line past the end of the other half of the dipole from
> radiating as part of the dipole?

Yes, if the choke is properly designed and wound for the frequency of
interest.

> Have you ever done comparisons with your "simple" config vs.
> "standard" config?

I don't know of a practical center feed for a vertical dipole that does
not include a serious common mode choke at the feedpoint. Indeed, I
consider my method FAR superior (and easier to do) than the more
conventional method of using wires for both sides of the dipole and
running coax horizontally away from the antenna. Try modeling it
(including the feedline as a common mode element) and you'll see why. :)

73, Jim K9YC