[TowerTalk] Bundling of tower coax and control lines

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Nov 17 05:23:45 EST 2013

On 11/16/2013 2:04 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
> Light scatters as a function of wavelength and particle size to interact
> with. You see the results of scattering when you look on the horizon and on
> one day see a white haze which is scattering off water and other large
> molecules for all visible wavelengths (hence white) and on other days it
> may be blue to the horizon where that wavelength is scattering strongly off
> oxygen molecules strongly vs longer wavelengths.

Take some photos of the horizon from a ridge line or from a few
thousand feet from an older small airplane using B & W film.
The windshield and windows in older planes were not UV protective
and B & W film is sensitive to UV light. Take photos with color
film as well. Compare the results. Quite often you can not see,
or barely make out the horizon in the B & W photos and it will
only be a bit hazy in the color shots. That haze in the B&W shots
is from the UV light.  .

Pilots flying  those old airplanes at 10,000 feet could get some
really bad sunburns wearing a short sleeve shirt,  Course some
would take their shirts off to get a fast tan, but usually got burnt.
Those planes might have had a 1/8th inch windows although I think
some were only 1/16th.

Mine had a 1/2 inch windshield with 1/4" side windows that were
UV protected and tinted.  It gets pretty bright up there above the clouds..
Exposure increases about 10 to 12% per 1000 feet.
BTW, reflections from new snow can double the UV exposure. I don't know
about sand, Google is your friend,

73

Roger (K8RI)