[TowerTalk] Ridding Birds from the Tower

Trond Thorman TROND at RADIUS.CO.UK
Wed Nov 20 09:16:31 EST 2013

Hi Mike,

We have installed for a client of ours a modified ultrasonic based system of Wailer. Their website as follows: http://www.scaringbirds.com/index.html
The system was installed on a 68m off-shore tower in Liverpool bay/UK. The menace is large flocks of cormorant. They do exactly as you said, do their fishing and bring the food back to the tower site and eat it.
The mess, both from avian deposits (read puh..) mixed with food left overs is disgusting. Prior to any service on the structure, we high pressure clean the platform dressed up as we are about to visit the reactors of Fukoshima.
I don't know the successes of the Wailer system (Sorry). Emitters where installed at 4 levels.

73 de G0TRD
Trond

-----Original Message-----
From: TowerTalk [mailto:towertalk-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Mike Ryan
Sent: 20 November 2013 13:39
To: Tower Talk
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ridding Birds from the Tower

Ultra sonic projectors or yelpers of one kind or another have been mentioned for ridding birds from towers. I have looked on-line and see a myriad of these things.  I would like to buy one.  Did I also read that the sound is inaudible to humans?  That ALSO is what I need as it would have to be used at night many times.  If anyone has any direct or first hand knowledge of one of these please get back to me off the reflector with the info. My problem is with the osprey (sea birds) that like to roost on my tower day and night while they survey the waters around here for prey which they brink back to the top of the tower to eat. They make and leave a huge mess every day. You can't shoot them as some might suggest, nor would I or could I as I am in a residential neighborhood ... with bird lovers galore. I just want them on someone else's home/tree/roof/tower anywhere else but here.  - Mike