[TowerTalk] 40 meter rotating dipole question

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 1 19:03:01 EDT 2013

Your direct e-mail threw me out so I am replying to towertalk....

Mark,

W4NU  did the rotating dipole on 80/75.  HE started with a Force 12 dipole
with switches for 3525 and 3800.  He did not like the results and sold the
Force 12 and got the M2 dipole wihich works great.  I think both are 90 feet
long.  With the M2 at 105 feet one call is all he needs usually.
Onl;y the guys with full beams beat him.

I use the Cushcraft 2 el 40 with good results.  I remember that the ARRL
Books used the almost exact duplicate of the Cushcraft as a 3 el beam back
in about 1980.  This makes a 45 foot dipole rather than a 60+ foot dipole.
Would sure save on center mounting and overhead strut.   I would imagine
adding a switching circuit would add a lot of difficulty to the dipole.
Instead of trying to build one the M2 dipole would be a good bet although
more expansive than a home brew one.

My 2 el Cushcraft at 86 feet is set for mid band and SWR is only 1.7 at the
low end and 1.4 at the top.  Tom N4KG bought one as he said I kept beating
him to DX.

73 Dave K4JRB
SE Division DXAC