[TowerTalk] Analysis of mast slippage in rotor

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Oct 6 13:51:21 EDT 2013

On 10/6/2013 1:14 PM, John Becker wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded on this issue.
>
> It appears that there is no perfect solution. The weak link for the
> HAM-III and related rotors is the limited strength of a 1/4-20 U-bolt.

As a thought; How about drilling a matching indentation into the mast?It
wouldn't have to be deep, just enough for the end of the bolt fit and
just snug, not tight enough to counteract the designed function of the
plate.  IOW, It'd give a good, non slip connection, of course it'd have
to be in the right location and if the antenna ever slipped on the mast
you'd probably have to make the correction there instead of at the
rotator.  It's much like pinning the mast but not quite as drastic and
has most of the same drawbacks. The indentation would only be deep
enough to reach the diameter of the bit which should be the sane
diameter as the bolt.  This would give a conical depression to fit the
end of the bolt and no deeper.  It still should be quite effective even
if it were shallower.

73

Roger (K8RI)