[TowerTalk] heavily rusted anchor bolt/nut

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Oct 7 11:28:05 EDT 2013

On 10/7/2013 6:56 AM, kr2q at optimum.net wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I am changing out the T-Bar base on my TX472.
>
> [You may recall, my old TX472 was bent at the base of the tower during H.Sandy.  The replacement tower has arrived]
>
> I tried using my wrench to undo the 3 nuts (on 3 anchor bolts), but I wasn't able to budge them.
>
> Then I slid a six foot long, 2" OD mast over the end of the wrench and for two of them (barely rusted), they easily turned.
>
> But one of the anchor bolts (1.125" diameter) the associated nut is heavily rusted, as is the bolt.  Over the weekend, I applied Naval Rust Dissolver Gel which sort of worked.  At least enough to demonstrate that the threads are still in tact.  I also showered it with Liquid Wrench (several times).

Use an Acetylene torch to quickly heat the nut to a red heat and remove
the flame quickly. Also remove the nut quickly. Keep the flame away from
the bolt.   A Map gas hand held torch might do it, but it might take a
while.  The danger is heating the bolt which would reduce its strength.

Another option is a "nut splitter", or a plasma torch.  Don't cut into
the threads with the torch.   It's so quick the bolt will barely get warm
  A cut almost to the threads on each side should do it, although the
"nut splitter" is probably the safest.  OTOH that's a pretty big
splitter.  Don't know how expensive it'd be, but up to inch and a half
are fairly inexpensive.  A precision too, they're not<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)