[TowerTalk] Connecting Tower to Ground Rod

Stan Labinsky Jr. K2STN at frontier.com
Thu Oct 10 11:16:35 EDT 2013

IIRC you tie the coax shield to the tower at its base for two reasons, with
a kinda common thread.

1) To eliminate any possible side flashes through the coax's outer
insulation, thereby saving the cable.

2) Connecting the shield to one of the lowest potential points, thereby
draining a good bit of the strike to closest earth ground.

Not tying it to the tower base is like connecting a meter probe to the
highest potential point, the point of the strike, the top of the tower, and
bringing that potential into your shack to the meter, all of your expensive
equipment so that it can measure the full effect of the strike... POOF!

Stan