[TowerTalk] Connecting Flat Copper to 5/8" Ground Rod

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Oct 14 17:50:39 EDT 2013

On 10/13/2013 10:26 PM, Wes Attaway (N5WA) wrote:
> I do the following
>
> 1. Bring the end of the copper strap around the ground rod so that you have
> about 6" or so of overlap at the end;
> 2. Drill a 3/8' hole thru both pieces of the strap about 1/2' or so from the
> rod;
> 3. Use a 3/8 bolt, nut, lock washer, and flat washers and tighten the
> assembly.  A hex head bolt helps with the tightening but is not essential;

Were I going to use bolts, I'd use copper or Brass with fairly thick
washers.
No steel, or plated steel as shown in the photos. They work as well and
no corrosion from dissimilar metals.

> 4.  Usually I cut off part of one side of the flat washers so there is a
> smooth face up close to the rod.  What you want to do is to pinch the copper
> strap very tightly as it comes around the ground rod;

You can simply replace the washers with solid copper  1/8" X 3/4 on each
side
for a symmetrical fit and pressure.\

73

Roger (K8RRI)