[TowerTalk] LM470 base dimensions

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Oct 19 23:35:24 EDT 2013

On 10/19/2013 8:55 PM, EZ Rhino wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> When I built my base I used the tower itself as the template for the ears.  I would highly recommend doing this or you be sorry when you try to put the two together.  Keep reading.  I bolted the ears to the tower and then tack welded the ears to the base with the tower laying horizontal.  I used some 16 gauge sheetmetal (1/16") as spacers so the ears were slightly apart when the base was taken off the tower.  Don't forget to also do a similar spacer for the third ear!  The problem I ran into, and if I did it over I could remedy this problem, was that when I started welding the ears moved from the heat.  A LOT!  Remember we're talking 1/2" steel here (in my case, anyways) and that requires a hell of a lot of welder to do it properly.  To avoid the warpage, I would cross/diagonally brace the crud out of the ears so they can not move at all.  Then cut off the braces when it is all welded.  I welded the ears on with three passes, and the rest of the gussets with single passes on both sides.  The final product weighs in about 225 pounds.  I think the base itself can hold up the tower without the concrete, lol.

I've been trying to work this so I can do it alone, but I think I'm going to have to take your suggested route.

I already have the base ears welded to the #10 rerod so I don't have to worry about the heat pulling the base dimensions.  Getting the ears bolted to the tower base won't be easy with 1/2" X 3" X 25" plates welded to 5' of 1.25" rerod.  That's heavy. I'm guessing they are 60 to 80# each. The tower is on steel sawhorses which put it a bit above waist high.  I'll have to get some neighbors to help.  I had been thinking about that as measuring dimensions on one piece, then shimming up other pieces separately before welding is tricky at best. I was thinking of using a couple #16 flashing strips for spacing. then welding the diagonals to the rerod and welding temporary #3 rerod across to hold the spacing while I build the cage.  I'd cut those pieces off just before the pour reached them.  With #3 rod I can use bolt cutters, or rather have someone use them.  My left arm and hand are improving, but not that good.  I can pull gloves on and hold pieces while clamping them, but not cut 5/16ths rod yet <:-))

I just need to get a bit of welding done and find someone to mount the
ears/rerod to the base of the tower, then remove the base and haul it
back into the shop after welding the temp spacers.

Thanks and 73

Roger (K8RI)