[TowerTalk] 80M Inverted V - CW and SSB

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 20:56:56 EDT 2013

My 4-wire cage inv vee was cheap and easy to build.
It's a proven design (W1AW has been using one
for decades).

While the free design program on smeter.net gives
all the data, even using the simple dipole formula
gets you there. Mine's a bit long, and the VSWR
curve is shifted below the middle of the band (around
3600-3625 KHz).  I expect if I optimized mine for
3750 KHz, VSWR would be no worse than around 1.5:1.
See the curve here: http://tinyurl.com/wa7prc-cage-vswr

I've had one for 80m up close to 10 years, continuously.
It has survived MANY windstorms. I now also drive it
on 160m as a vertical against ground; the inv vee legs
work as a top hat.

I also use the design during FD. Even though there is
500 feet of wire in it, it goes up and comes down FAST.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC