[TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Oct 24 12:07:26 EDT 2013

On 10/24/2013 8:37 AM, Larry Loen wrote:
> I know that stations are way down to inaudible on my Windom at 43 feet.  Height is worth_a lot_.

I wouldn't attribute all of that to height -- what you can HEAR is
primarily the result of antenna directivity and noise rejection. Windoms
are notoriously bad for noise rejection, because they are badly
unbalanced, so noise picked up on the transmission line couples to the
antenna.  Windoms also have "random" directivity on each band.

Also, it's worth studying N6BV's excellent work on High Frequency
Terrain Analysis in the ARRL Antenna Book, and also modeling in NEC.
Higher is not always better.

73, Jim K9YC