[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower and antenna decisions

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Sat Oct 26 23:15:04 EDT 2013

All these "modern", solid state, PA have the same problem, they are "protected" and the "protection" rolls back the power as soon as they detect reflected power. Little depending on make and design they roll back more or less. That's why the manufacturer offer built in tuners. The "old days" with a pi-filter on the output could be tuned to most anything below SWR of 1:3 or even more, and they didn't have (needed maybe) the "protection". As long as you didn't kill the final tubes by overheating them, you were OK. Do we like to have the "old" tube final back? Maybe.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS