[TowerTalk] Amplifier Impedance Matching

XV4Y (Yan) xv4y at nature-mekong.com
Mon Oct 28 20:32:52 EDT 2013

Hi Jim,

I remember from my old Line Theory lessons than the choice of 50 ohms for coaxial lines is not accidental.
I cannot remember the exact background but in TEM mode the lower losses (and then better power handling because of less heat generated) is at 51,2 ohms.
50 ohms was then a good choice.
For receiving however, 75ohms was still good regarding losses but offers a better match to a dipole. The core wire is also smaller allowing some savings on copper...
I also think I remember than for high-power application when we use "rigid" air dielectric coaxial lines the best impedance is different. However I don't remember if it lower or higher... I have been working more on waveguides than on coaxial lines... still we used "off the shelf" devices so I was not spending much time thinking about impedance choice.

Unfortunately I have no time to do extensive researches but I found this by ON9CVD:
http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/~on9cvd/E-Waarom%2050%20Ohm.htm

By the way, for small powers (100W), I often use cheap and widely available CaTV 75 ohms cable. It works very well.
On a fixed frequency a 1/2 wave line offers no mismatch and mismatch losses.
For a multiband antenna, the internal ATU of my TS-590s handles the mismatch and using only short runs the mismatch losses are acceptable.
50ohms cable is quite expensive here and I have to go to Saigon (7 hours trip by car) to buy by 100m cuts.

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y