[TowerTalk] Method of calculating phase delay variation when stacking two...

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sun Sep 1 15:44:20 EDT 2013

Eric, I don't see the answer being quite as complicated as all that.

If one yagi feed point is forward of the second yagi, the number of
wavelengths or degrees would be corrected by making the forward yagi feed line
longer by the amount of the offset.

a 5 ft offset would need an increase in line length of 5ft electrically.
Physical length in this case would be 5ft times the velocity factor. RG213
has a  v.f. of .66 so the actual length increase is 3.3 ft. LMR400 v.f. is
about .84 so  the actual length would be 4.25 ft.

No need for calculating degrees or wavelengths is needed.

This is assuming you want to make the two feed points in phase and the vswr
 is low. Elevated vswr would introduce some phase shift but that is a
whole new subject.

The spacing you mentioned should work out very well. It is enough to attain
 near maximum stacking gain on 20m. While more than enough for the higher
bands,  the only consequence is somewhat higher grating lobes in the vertical
plane. The  grating lobes are many dB lower in amplitude than the ground
reflection lobes  and probably not even noticeable.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/1/2013 1:30:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,