[TowerTalk] Bose 901 antenna theory

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Sep 4 17:34:11 EDT 2013

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 19:00:01 -0400
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU at frontiernet.net>
To: bill steffey NY9H <ny9hpa at gmail.com>
Cc: towertalk at contesting.com, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net>, "Richard
\(Rick\) Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] rotating delta loop

On Aug 30, 2013, at 8:34 45PM, bill steffey NY9H <ny9hpa at gmail.com> wrote:

> when bose introduced their multi speaker facing the wall...
> not only did 'consumer's' not like it ;;;

Guess I'm not a 'consumer'....to my ears it was better and cleaner-sounding than any other speaker in its price range.  And those 'ignorant' professionals who reviewed speakers for the leading audiophile magazines seemed pretty impressed, too.

> the guys at the other manufacturers had little regard for the "science"
> using multiple 4" midrange drivers with HUGE 15-20 db eq at the bottom & top
> causing most amps to run out of power , and go mushy

There is no question the technique required clean high power amplifiers.  Otherwise, it was going to sound about the same as an SSB transmitter trying to coax 1000 watts of RF out of a pair of 807s.

> no highs...no lows ...must be bose.....
> Paul Klispch from Arkansas  said "' Ho Hum another " breakthru in Physics"
> or as one of the engineers at JBL,

All totally unbiased observers....

> all those drivers putting out the same output creating
> a mess of mixing delay times at the listeners ears...

Unlike the use of separate woofers, tweeters, and mid-range speakers -- a technique that never had any phasing or crossover issues.

We probably should get back to rotating delta loops...the pseudo-science here is getting a little thick.

Bud, W2RU

###  What he meant by consumers is....  CONSUMER REPORTS.    CONSUMER REPORTS  gave the Bose-901s a real bad review.  Bose 901s are junk then...and their latest rendition is still junk today.
Consumer reports was sued by Bose.  Consumer reports has NEVER tested another BOSE product since.  Bose has been involved in 14 lawsuits.  Bose doesn’t publish tech specs on its equipment, Bose believes
tech specs are not required to properly evaluate their products. Bose isnt THX certified either.   The old adage.... No highs, no lows... must be Bose, still holds true.  Amar Bose was overheard bragging the 9 x 4 inch drivers
he uses in his flagship Bose 901 cost less than 50 cents apiece,  got a lot of folks upset.   The 901s are heavily equalized..hence the mating equalizer that comes with all 901 speakers.   Most high end audio stores  wont sell Bose
products anymore. Bose demands that a special listening room be set up.... with NO other brands of speakers in the same room....so that no direct comparisons can be made.

Later.... Jim  VE7RF