[TowerTalk] Hy-gain Hy-Tower versus 53 ft Vertical

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Thu Sep 5 09:50:36 EDT 2013

I have the new style recent manufacture Hy-Tower on top of a metal barn sans
radials and sans concrete base.  It is a good performer.  I have the
accessory kits which give you 17M and 160M. It handles 160, 80, 40, 20, 17,
15, 12, 10M.  17 is just another stub and there are two choices for 160, a
base coil (bad rep for burning out and in my case a trip up a ladder to
adjust so not selected) and a 40M trap attached at the top of the 24 ft
triangular tower portion with a run of wire with length adjusted for
resonance. The trap keeps you from detuning the 40M performance. I added a
4-way Phillystran guy setup attached at the top of the triangular tower
section (24 ft.)

Being in the heart of tornado alley we get wind. You may have seen
communities near me on TV a while back (Moore, Shawnee, etc. in Oklahoma.)
We got winds strong enough to fold rollup doors (14x14ft) at both ends of
the building with the Hy-Tower on it.  I had to replace the doors but not
the antenna.  More recently wind blew a pair of sliding doors (14x16) off my
hay barn but the Hy-Tower ( a quarter mile away) shows no damage.

I am close to putting up a tilt over crank up tower to get a hex beam up
with adjustable height AGL of 33 to 53 ft.  I will be keeping the Hy-Tower
and the 270 ft OCF Carolina Windom dipole hung off the side of it as my
experience has been that no single antenna is best for all occasions.

Later, when the temps are more favorable for outside projects, I have two
more towers to erect and in the meantime antennas to select.  Decisions
decisions...

Patrick AF5CK