[TowerTalk] HyTower vs other verticals

r miles greenacres113 at charter.net
Thu Sep 5 15:39:32 EDT 2013

I can only state my experience. I can't give charts , numbers or some
esoteric computer software predictions. I chase DX. Mostly CW. At this
location I've had a Hustler & a Hygain trap vertical. Modest radial
system. Two yr.s ago I put up a used HyTower. With a better radial
system. 25 buried radials each apx 80' long.
The HT is far & away the better on 40m. It's primary usage band. On 75m
where I do go chasing DX it's a very good performer. The only better 40m
ant. to me would be a gain ant.  such as a yagi or quad. I have an 80m
1/2 sq. wire array too. The HT & it are pretty close in performance on
80m. In the directions the wire array is broadside. The HT is better in
the directions off the ends of the wire array.

I can't imagine removing the band stingers. You never know. I always try
to have a back up ant. for each band.  I try to be prepared for some
rare one if my primary ant. is out of service. A modest ant. is a lot
better than NO ant. or a dead one.

I also had a 30m monoband 1/4 wave vertical up. With a good radial
system. It was better than the wire I had up. Three yr.s ago I replaced
the 30m vertical with a 2 ele Moxon yagi. A world of difference. Half
the stn.s on 30m use verticals or tune their 80m or 40 wire ant. The
Moxon is head & shoulders above that. Built from RL Cebiks data it's
only the size of a normal 2 el 20m monoband yagi.

My HT is rated to be selfsupporting in up to 75 MPH wind. I had a
stronger gust just before last Christmas. HT folded at the base & broke
the insulators. It is now repaired & vertical again. I'm using 4000#
t/strength 5/16''  non metal guys. I noticed no change in performance. I
just added the Hygain inverted L 160m add on. Not cut properly yet so
this winter season it'll get a try out when I get it tuned.

I've always wanted a HT. It was beyond my means. Rarely are they for
sale. Like a good radio, guys don't part with equipment they are happy
with. They  go used for $400 to $500. I'd rather spend that than $250
for some 24' modern trap vertical if I could afford it. I brought  my HT
from Fl to NW Tn on my car roof racks. Not ever been sorry I finally got
one. It's a pain putting in a yard of concrete for the base but the
performance on 80/75m & 40m is great. It tunes FB with excellent SWR on
the other bands but I have yagis on those bands so I don't use the HT
there.

If I could only be able to have 1 antenna for all bands I'd want a
HyTower.

K9IL