[TowerTalk] Ground level rotator mounting

Don Moman VE6JY ve6jy.1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 13:09:14 EDT 2013

Taking the mast to the ground is especially appropriate for the Rohn
BX/Delhi series of towers as torque up at the top of the tower isn't
helpful to the longevity of the rivets... and it's all downhill from there.

I have seen and done numerous installs in Rohn and bigger. Oscillation, to
me anyway, is so remote a possibility that I don't even consider it.  I use
anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 IPS S40 water pipe and weld on flanges for
coupling.  This reduces the inherent elongation of using simple pinning
bolts thru the mast and allows an unobstructed  path for the coax to also
go down the inside of the pipe and thru the rotor.

I am in the process of finishing one as we speak, 2.5 inch ips x 110 feet
for a large HF log periodic.  Sure it will twist somewhat but given the
beamwidth it is inconsequential.   If I get around to it, I would put some
treated 2x6's around the mast to keep it roughly centered. There is no need
for precision in this application. I always let the weight be supported by
the top bearing.

Don
VE6JY