[TowerTalk] Ground Level Rotators

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Sep 8 15:31:59 EDT 2013

Roger makes a good point about many rotator bearings needing some axial
load and the high axial loads they are rated for.

I would add a concern about the dead weight load imposed on the tower if
a thrust bearing at the top supports the heavier mast sizes/materials
discussed.  All tower specs I've seen have a dead load spec in addition
to wind load.  Self supporting towers either fail in buckling,
compression or tension of some structural element and excessive dead
load may be a problem.  IMO, put the mast weight on the rotator and use
a true radial bearing (wood, plastic, etc) at the top.  Then it is also
easy to hoist the mast up a bit to remove the rotator.  (aren't the
goals to make it easy to work on the rotator and take loads off the tower??)

Grant KZ1W