[TowerTalk] Best way to mount two LPDA on single mast

Richard Thorne rthorne at rthorne.net
Sun Sep 8 21:18:31 EDT 2013

Consider installing the mast while the tower is still laying on the
ground.  You can also install the mast to boom plates on the mast. It
will be easier to install at the correct distance above the tower and
you can be sure they line up properly so the boom's of the two antennas
will be parallel.

Have the crane lift the tower in place.  If the crane operator has a
bucket, you can go up in the bucket with each antenna and install them.

That's how I installed my antenna's.   I'm replacing my 2 element 40m
beam with a 4 element beam (2 elements on 30 and 2 on 40) in few weeks
and I'll have the crane operator bring the bucket.  Since the bucket
needs to be brought in the back of a pickup truck, I end up getting a
rigger as well.  So it's the crane operator, a rigger and myself.

When I put up my 80' 45 tower we had it up including antenna's in about
6 hours.  Since your tower is self supporting it will be quicker as you
won't have to spend time messing with guy lines.  Get all you can
possible get done while the tower is on the ground like securing your
coax and rotor control lines to the side of the tower etc. before the
crane gets there.

Rich - N5ZC