[TowerTalk] Crank-up Tower Lube

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Sep 11 14:37:40 EDT 2013

Beeswax is good.  Teflon spray that dries well so as to not attract/hold
dust and grit is good.  You can also use silicone spray (favoring multiple
coats.)  I prefer not to use anything that will hold onto grit.  Dust and
airborne grit spread by wind or even salt from salty air will be collected
by most greases or oils. and when the salt dries it is abrasive and ready to
promote corrosion when moistened by dew, fog, rain... Grit collects in
greases  and many oils and turns the would be lubricant into a  grinding
compound which can grind on your galvanizing.

I have wondered but not tested how rubbing strakes made of Delrin or other
slippery material would stand up.  I know they would perform well but for
how long?

Unfortunately if the rubbing strakes were not incorporated into the design
(clearances) there might not be room for a sufficiently thick piece of
material to be introduced. Rubbing strakes of appropriate materials would
require no lubrication.

Patrick  AF5CK