[TowerTalk] HD-73 Rotator issues

Dan Evans k9zf at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 21:17:27 EDT 2013

Talk'ians,

Just picked up an Alliance HD-73 at a hamfest.  The previous owner sold it really cheap, because it has a problem...

Anyway, the rotor turns fine but there is no direction indication on the control box. The needle just stays all the way to the left, it doesn't move when the rotor turns.  The box lights up, the rotor turns, but no direction indication.    I guessed it would be a simple fix, maybe even a problem with the wiring, but I haven't found the issue yet.

What I did do was go through the trouble shooting section of the manual.  Basically, it walks you through the what the resistance values from pin to pin of the rotor.   All of the readings were normal, so I would rule out a problem with the rotor.  That leaves a problem with the control box.  I opened up the box and looked for obvious problems, but no such luck.  I am guessing it may be an issue on the circuit board near the meter, but I haven't pulled the board yet.  I see a few diodes and resistors on the board to check out.

Before I completely dismantle the control box, has anyone run across this issue before?  Is there a common problem I should be looking for?  I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm pretty good with a DVM and a soldering iron.  At least I think I am better with a soldering iron than whoever built this control box... (connections have big globs of solder...)

Any tips appreciated.  I'm still hoping to get it put up before the VHF contest this weekend...

73
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el