[TowerTalk] Help with calculations...

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 17 13:30:58 EDT 2013

It's not too difficult since you don't need to calculate the stress in
the tower and assume it is strong enough to handle the lifting force.

1. Calculate the moment arms for the tower only. Either assume a uniform
weight/ft x the length x halfway up = x ft-lbs.  Or more accurately for
a non uniform tower, sum the moments of each sections weight at each
sections midpoint height, i.e.  w1 x h1 + w2 x h2 + ... etc. = x
ft-lbs.  principle: Uniform weight/ft can be assumed to be point loads
at their center.
2. Add the moments for the rotator + mast + antenna, using the same
process.  wt mast x distance from tower base to its midpoint, etc.
3. Now you know the total moment (torque) needed at the base of the
tower to rotate it from the horizontal.  e.g. 6000 ft-lbs
4. To calculate the lift force, the angle of the pull up rope needs to
be known.  Simple trig can figure it out.
5. Principle: for a hinged base, force along the length of the tower
does nothing to raise it, only force perpendicular to the rope attach
point.  So the base lifting moment needs to be translated to the place
the rope attaches.  i.e 6000 ft-lbs/15ft up or a 400lbs upward force
will start moving the tower upward.
6. The initial force in the lift rope is the perpendicular lift
force/sine(lift rope angle to ground).  i.e. a straight up lift is 400#
and a lift along the tower takes infinite force.  The lift rope force
goes down as the tower elevates, but since the angles are changing that
is a more complex calculation and not necessary for sizing things.
7.  You can use the same trig to calculate the downward and horizontal
forces you will apply to your roof.  A safer choice is to run another
rope over the rooftop and back to a fixed point, so the load on the roof
is only downward.  Then a turning block can bring the lift rope back to
the tower location.  I don't think most stick pitched roof construction
can handle heavy side loads at the peak (all nails from rafters into
ridge rafter and usually wimpy ties between opposing rafters).
8. The lifting rope can be as many part block/tackle as needed.  I
particularly like sailboat ball bearing blocks and low stretch rope for
these lifts. Suitable (2000# swl) blocks are about $50 each 2/3 part and
good low stretch 7/16 rope is about $1/ft.

the cautions are:

1. Is the tower strong enough to stand the point load lift force?  A
rule of thumb for tower crane lifts is at 2/3 the height so as the tower
raises the base rests on the ground and takes some weight until the
crane supports the entire weight with the tower nearly vertical (what it
is designed to do).  Using a sling around the tower can move the load to
two legs but it can't slip.
2. Attachment of the lifting rope to the house and the rope needs to be
strong enough, e.g. 20% of breaking strength is the norm max load.

I've used this approach for many mast/tower lifts using guyed fixed
derricks.

Grant KZ1W  not a structural eng, YMMV, caveat emptor