[TowerTalk] Shielded shack

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Sep 28 11:55:20 EDT 2013

On 9/28/2013 1:51 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> If it is lightning protection and not RFI shielding that is desired,
> then what is done for explosive magazines ought to be enough!
> http://www.seftim.fr/publications/DDESB/17-3-LIGHTNING_PROTECTION_FOR_CRITICAL_EXPLOSIVES_OPERATIONS.pdf
> has many references, but there are older documents I've seen in prior
> google searches.  e.g. http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/p385_64.pdf
> Or standards for protection of petroleum storage facilities.

Although I guess you could call it a Faraday Cage, these really are not
effective at the frequencies operated (160through UHF), but I'd think a
fairly effective lightening protection protection cage could be built
using #3 rerod (about 5/16ths) with the rods laid out using 6" to 12"
spacing, (my personal preference = 6")vertical and horizontal with each
crossing junction welded. I'd make the door the same way with it bonded
on the hinge side using copper braid with the other side camming tight
against a conductive vertical member The whole thing could be covered
with aluminum window screen (on the inside of the rerod) to create a
real Faraday cage although I don't see any advantage in doing so..  I'd
cover the outside with Vinyl siding for appearance.  Finish off the
inside like normal construction.  You are probably looking at $300 +/-
for rerod and welding every junction is a lot of welding although each
weld is small.

Remember you are building a cube and all 6 sides need to be covered.

IE:  It's just a stick built room covered with a grid created out of
rerod for lightening protection and a LOT CHEAPER than using copper
unless you don't have a welder and have to hire that done.  That is a
lot of rerod.<:-))

I'd pitch the foil idea.  Hard to bond reliably, fragile, and very
little current capacity before vaporizing and setting the "shack" on fire.

I would add, that if the tower or shack ever takes a direct hit, your
ears will likely ring for an hour or so.  Course, good insulation is
also good sound proofing.

73

Roger (K8R)