[TowerTalk] Shielded shack

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 29 09:09:17 EDT 2013

On 9/28/13 8:23 PM, Avery Davis wrote:
> Hans,
> There are professional techniques for using Aluminum foil to shield a
> room, and the trick is to treat the seams and penetrations.
> Penetrations should be installed on a conducting plate (AL to match the
> foil shield, but galvanized steel should be OK), and should use filtered
> or shielded wiring.  This website shows AL foil specifically for room
> shielding, and shows depictions of seam treatment.
>
> http://www.ramayes.com/aluminum_foil_emi_rfi_shielding.htm

Note that the foil there (2.5 mil) is substantially thicker than
household aluminum foil (0.5-0.6 mil)
.

that does have effect.. aside from the lower resistivity of the thicker
foil, you have to consider skin effect.  A shield works by the incident
field inducing a current creating an opposite field in the conducting
plane.  If the foil is thinner than, say, 5 skin depths, some of that
current is on the opposite surface, where it can radiate.

At 1 MHz (lightning frequencies) skin depth in copper is 2.6 mils and
aluminum is 3.2 mils

Note that for iron, assuming resistivity of 9.6 micro-ohm-cm (vs 1.67
for copper) and permeability of 100, the skin depth is 0.6 mils.

This is why galvanized steel is a popular shielding material: cheap and
very effective in thin layers.