[TowerTalk] Fulton 2500 winch single or dual speed?

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 16:50:51 EDT 2014

Hi Rick, et al,

Owing to the high angles at which the worm and spur gear are cut and
caused to mesh in a self-locking worm gear set, a fair amount of
friction is inevitable.  And 'yes' they have to mesh at something close
to 90 degrees to keep the spur gear from inadvertently turning the worm
gear.

I went back to Dutton-Lainson's web site and looked at the instruction
set for the WG2000 40:1 worm gear winch.  Contained in the Safety
Information, there is a note concerning heating when the winch is to be
used in conjunction with an electric drill.  It simply states that one
should not exceed 600 rpm.

So... wanting to talk directly to the horse's mouth, I called
1-402-462-4141 and talked to one of their engineers whose name is Phil.
I asked about potential heat build up with the task at hand - that being
the movement of less than 30 ft. of wire rope onto and/or off of the
drum under load.  His answer was short and sweet.  He said that the
amount of wire rope to be loaded onto the drum was not so significant in
length (time to load) as to lead him to worry about heat build up, so
long as a variable speed drill was used and kept below 600 rpm.  He
said, that if the winch is used following factory guidelines, you're
never going to heat the gear set to the point of concern if properly
greased.  Since he was on the subject, I asked if his company recommends
a particular grease, be it dino or synthetic and his answer was "Just
use a good quality grease and reapply before each use if the winch
remains outside and there's a long period between uses."  To this he
added "The winch is powder coated and quite durable but it wouldn't hurt
to throw a canvas bag over it if it's going to remain outside."

So there you have it.  By design the self-locking worm gear is very
inefficient causing some frictional heating but it's also easy on the
muscles and stops where you leave it.  If used properly and under low
duty cycles such as that of raising or lowering tower sections, one
would think that this winch set would work well.

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com

---