[TowerTalk] TIC Potentiomenter

Scott scottb at radios-online.com
Thu Apr 3 19:11:36 EDT 2014

I haven't looked to close at this yet but will stick my neck out and
say yes I believe it will work just fine. At 9000 rpm on a pp with a
T bar and 2 magnets your resolution would be 300% better than what
the gear slop alone could give you. I haven't counted the gearing but
let's say it's 50:1, even a 30 rpm shaft with 2 magnets on a T bar
will give you better than 1/4 degree resolution. You only need 1
degree.... Jeff in conversation calculated out my new retrofit for
the pst motor at 1/10 of a degree or something like that. Suffice to
say it's got plenty of pulses :)  (15,500 per antenna revolution I
think was the number, you can do the math)
Several have sent pics of motors, will look at this when I get some
time. Don't see it as being a problem though and you would increase
the reliability of the unit by a gazillion % with a hermetically
sealed switch. Obviously must have the rt20/21 controllers for
flexibility of setting up but this seems to be the new standard for
making all this stuff work.
Scott
N1CX