[TowerTalk] TIC Potentiometer

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Apr 4 08:18:40 EDT 2014

Apparently there are at least two common TIC ring problems, gear slippage
and indicator failure.

Gear slippage should not occur if the guide roller holds the ring gear
against the motor. The further the motor is from the roller the more
likely it will disengage. I have not seen this problem with my older style
units.

The sensor is a potentiometer and unfortunately it is mounted in a box
that is not very waterproof. A pot with an IP67 water resistance rating
would sure be nice but I have yet to find one.  Most pots that I have
found seem to have no shaft seal and with them facing upward eventual
failure is likely. Switching to a different positioning indicator such as
a reed switch is also a possibility, but this is a major design change.

John KK9A