[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fulton 2500 winch single or dual speed?

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Sat Apr 5 23:15:50 EDT 2014

What I remember from my engineering school (as much I wanted to remember from those "Mechanical" classes. I belonged to the elite: The electric and electronic groups. It didn't help that much when it came to maintain a job nowadays though :(.)

Anyhow, in order for the worm gear to be "self-braking" the efficiency of that gear had to be less than 50%. It has to do with the angle of the screw thread and the friction coefficient. A warning is in place: When the surfaces on the gear and the worm start to wear, the friction coefficient tend to be reduced and a gear box, that initially was self braking could later lose that characteristic. You therefor had to take notice each time you use a worm gear as it suddenly could "break lose".

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS