[TowerTalk] Poor eHam reviews of the AV 480

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Apr 10 00:59:19 EDT 2014

On 4/9/2014 9:37 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett wrote:
> Leaving a review on a product you don't own is pretty low.

I disagree, to the extent that if I've used the product enough to have a
well considered judgement, I feel well qualified to write a review.
Perhaps I hated the product enough to dump it. Or I sold it to buy a
better radio.

Since getting back on the air in 2003, I have owned and used extensively
an Omni V, TS850, IC746, K2, FT1000MP, FT100D, and K3. All are long gone
but the K3. I've also owned several power amps, antenna tuners, and
other accessories. I don't recall how many of them I've reviewed, but I
wouldn't hesitate to do so now IF I remembered enough about them to do
so accurately.

I look more at the content of a review, and try to deduce from it the
technical qualifications of the reviewer. From that, I make a judgement
call as to how much credence to place on the review. And if I care, I
look at a lot of reviews, applying the BS filter.

Frankly, the reviews I discount the most are from someone who just
bought the product and hasn't had time to find the high and low spots,
or from an appliance operator who is unlikely to know good from bad. In
both cases, the review is likely to reflect the popular opinions of
those who talked the guy into buying it in the first place. :)

73, Jim K9YC