[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing adjustment

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 22:08:47 EDT 2014

Funny... I just had this very same conversation concerning loaded masts
on folded over towers with Mike, VE3YF.

Rather than using a completely empty rotor plate just above the rotor,
I'm going to bolt a square piece of UV resistant UHMW (Tivar) with a
center hole slightly larger than the outside diameter of my 2" DOM mast,
in the space where a bearing would normally be utilized.

Jon Pearl - W4ABC

On 4/10/2014 7:29 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> If your concern is containing the mast for rotator swaps K7LXC has a great
> suggesting of just installing a lower rotator plate with no bearing.  Towers
> are so imprecise, I cannot imagine trying to line up three bearings and not
> have it bind.
>
> John KK9A
>
> To:	 <towertalk at contesting.com>
> Subject:	 Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing adjustment
> From:	 "Ed Muns" <ed at w0yk.com>
> Reply-to:	ed at w0yk.com
> Date:	 Thu, 10 Apr 2014 14:35:21 -0700
> The second, lower, thrust bearing is VERY handy when you need to remove the
> rotator without first removing all the antennas on the mast above the top
> thrust bearing.
>
> Ed W0YK

---