[TowerTalk] Welding Rebar

Brian Amos bamos1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 01:47:30 EDT 2014

If you weld it the rod may rust which will cause the concrete to burst. Not
a fun situation as usually the recommended repair is completely remove the
foundation and replace it. As a foundation engineer I only hear the
failures and what the standard of practice and code say, so maybe it has
worked under the right circumstances. If it has an issue and it was not
built to code the insurance company will not cover you.

Tying rebar is not fun and can be hard work but stout teenage boys will
learn quickly and work for a small portion of what a concrete company would
charge. I usually offer a favorite meal ajdand tgat is ebough.  You may
even find some free and experienced help from your ham club. I know
whenever someone in my club needs help with something that falls within my
line of work I am more than willing to lend a hand.

Brian
KF7OVD