[TowerTalk] Balun Overheating?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 00:58:33 EDT 2014

On 4/20/14, 9:24 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
> On 4/20/2014 10:26 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

>> It kind of depends on what the choking impedance is.
>>
>> It's all about I^2*R, after all
>
> Just stick 'em in place with a dab of epoxy every few inches.
> It will prevent them from moving around, but let them breath.  The stuff
> for plastic will keep the wires in place and set up in just a few
> minutes. You might have to work a bit fast with the 5 minute stuff. If
> so, they make a 15 minute version.  As they "Prevent" current flow" I'd
> not expect a lot of heat.

as long as you have enough of them.  If you don't have enough, then
current does flow, and they could get warm.

The other reason you might put them inside something is to protect them
from damage by being blown around in the wind. The material is pretty
brittle, so if it whacks against the mast or something, it will chip or
break.