[TowerTalk] Cadweld vs other welds or brazing

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Apr 27 23:26:44 EDT 2014

On 4/27/2014 9:19 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> I would not be overly concerned with corrosion from drilled holes.  The zinc
> will still protect exposed metal to some extent and you could always apply
> cold galvanizing to the hole. I have had to elongate many poor fitting tower
> accessories and I have yet to see a corrosion problem. That said, I see no

As I always have 3 taper pins to align the sections, it's faster to just
hit them bit harder  till the bolt fits, rather than having to get the
drill and drill motor as they are already there.
  (Using the taper pins usually saves 5 minutes or more and is easier
and does not damage the galvanizing) I drive the taper pins in the small
holes and the larger bolts usually just slip right in.ROHN use two size
holes.

I also use existing bolt holes to hold ground wire clamps.

> reason to add holes when there are already bolt holes at the tower base
> where a ground lug can be fastened.

ROHN is very specific about the practice of drilling out galvanizing, or
even threading bolts through tight holes. It could render the difference
between insurance coverage, or not.  In the case of liability, or
peripheral damage to your house, out buildings, or neighbor's buildings
or injuries and that could be substantial.  Insurance companies are
looking for more and more reasons not to pay as the industry is
hurting.  I prefer not to give them any excuse.

Insurance companies have very long memories (records). When I lived in
Breckenridge, I installed TV antennas on the side. It was good, easy
money, until the main jobs left were 2 and 3 story houses with steep
pitched roofs.  I had installed one on my own house.  They questioned
the installation until thy found I did it for a living.

Years later, I took a Direct hit to the tower (before the ground system
was finished. I lost a 2-meter rig, all the coax connections at the top
of the tower, and a new computer (less than a week old). The first thing
they asked, "Didn't we replace that antenna for you?".  I had to explain
that was 3 houses ago, a TV antenna, and this was a much larger and more
expensive ham antenna that was OK<:-)). The differences including what
was a major ground system to them.  (Several hundred feet of bare #2 and
about a dozen 8' ground rods.)  As I built the computer, I had to get a
quote for the parts and time to build from another builder,  He charged
more for time and parts.

I think I will stick with ROHN'S guidance, whether it's a CYA or common
sense.  They are the manufacturer and the insurance co will likely go
with them.

I've climbed many towers that had no corrosion but I've climbed towers
that had only the paint holding 2 of the 3 legs holding the sections
together as well. Only luck and fast reflexes kept me from riding 30
feet of tower down.  They looked good, but only luck kept me alive

I did a lot of climbing until nature dealt me a bad hand, called a
stroke.  As my left hand is only partially useful, the insurance won't
cover me climbing, or flying airplanes any more.

I stick with the statement:

Drilling holes on thin, galvanized tubing invites corrosion. Yours is an
exception.*  I would suggest that anyone who plans on drilling, or welding to
a tower leg, first contact the manufacturer before proceeding.*

73

Roger  (K8RI)