[TowerTalk] Building a W6NL Moxon 40 Meter Beam.

L L bahr pulsarxp at embarqmail.com
Sun Aug 3 18:27:26 EDT 2014

Bud and Dave Gilbert,

OK, I understand what you are saying, Bud.  But what about the shielding effect?  Taking this to an extreme, I could encapsulate the entire driven element into a hypothetical long grounded tube.  No RF could get out of it due to it's 100% shielding. It would be 100% ineffective.  Yes, the aluminum channel is only 2 foot long, but it's 2 foot is shielding 3 sides of the driven element right at where the maximum radiation is taking place. The driven element only has the top open for 2 foot of its area where most of the radiation is taking place.  How can this shielding on three sides not be affecting the amount of RF getting into the ether?

Dave,  I see you wrote also.  Maybe you are starting to get through to me.  You are saying the boom which is bolted to the channel is not at RF ground and is thus not shielding the driven element as Bud is pointing out the channel just becomes part of the center part of the driven element.

Is this what you guys are trying to beat into my skull?  (I'm starting to feel better now!)

Lee, w0vt