[TowerTalk] Rivet Tool Info

Larry K4AB larry.k4ab at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 14:24:01 EDT 2014

I'm in the process of assembling the new Force 12 Delta-II-6BA.

I agree with Chip K7JA, that the hand rivet tool is very difficult for
popping the rivets.  Bear in mind that I am no large, athletic guy,
but I'm no little old lady either.  The hand riviter is tough to use.

I prefer a simple pneumatic riviter that can be bought for around
$50.  The advantage of the pneumatic tool is that you can use
one of your hands to steady the element, and the opposite hand
to "pop" the rivet. The dual-hand riviter that Chip recommends
requires use of both of your hands, making it quite cumbersome.

Of course the pneumatic tool uses an air compressor, which a lot
of folks may already have.  If not, a simple "pancake" compressor
which can deliver 90-100 PSI is sufficent and inexpensive.

The pneumatic rivet tool is the only way to fly!

As an aside, the new 6BA looks like an fine piece of workmanship.
The new open-air 40 meter loading coils are LARGE, and seem, at
first glance, to appear vastly superior to the previous versions.
Congratulations to AA7XT, G0KSC, K7JA, XE2K and the team,
and of course N6BT.

Once it gets up and installed, I'll give you an overall assessment and
post some pictures online.

73,
Larry K4AB