[TowerTalk] rotary or demo hammer for ground rods

Wilson infomet at embarqmail.com
Sun Aug 10 19:52:18 EDT 2014

Some guys here went together to buy the big Harbor Freight demo hammer.
I’ve chipped off some granite with it, but it was slow.
One of the guys made a female socket for driving rods and it’s fabulous, as fast as you’d want to go.
BUT it’s HEAVY, 70 lb, I think.  At our age, it takes two of us to work it high, as required for ground rods!
We use it every FD for a dozen ground rods and numerous pins to hold down tower bases.
All great.  We take it around on a garden trailer, with a generator or in a pickup.
We also have a farm jack and adapter to pull rods, but this year I pulled with my old Ford tractor.
It’s astonishing how hard it is to pull even 3-4 ft of rod out of firm dirt!  Rebar is worse.

One guy bought the next smaller hammer and I think it’s fine, especially on 4 ft rods.
Having SDS is very good, since you can do awesome rotary drilling.

WL