[TowerTalk] rotary or demo hammer for ground rods

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Aug 11 09:20:59 EDT 2014

I have a demo hammer that uses 3/4 inch hex bits.  It is a handful but
much smaller and it would not be very effective in driving ground rods.

A couple things:  The COTS (Store bought) ground rod driver bits are
ridiculously overpriced.  You can make your own by cutting the chisel or
diamond shaped tip off of a bit that fits your tool and affixing a short
piece of pipe, tubing, metallic conduit over the cut end to keep the
tool from slipping off the ground rod. I found that conduit could be
hammered into place over the hex shaped bit. The conduit gets sort of
hex shaped in the process. I welded it to hold it in place but drilling
a hole through the bit and the conduit and pinning it would work for
folks who don't weld. Even tape might work.

If the ground is quite hard, progress will be slow and the ground rod
may get bent.  Two or three lengths of scrap pipe can be used to prevent
the bending.  You slip a length of pipe shorter than the length of rod
above ground over the rod and drive away.  Typically you only need a
couple pieces of pipe: one a couple feet long and one about a foot
long.  You can use a bit of tape to hold the pipe so as to cover the
area of the ground rod that is bending. You will never wear out the
scrap pipe or bend it. For 5/8 ground rod I use 3/4 ID pipe.

If you dig out a little dirt (cup full or so) where the rod enters the
ground you can pour water in that depression to lubricate the rod and it
may make driving easier. Sometimes several wettings will be required to
make driving easier.  I have found a few times that when not making
progress in a reasonable time that pulling the rod , moving over a
couple inches and retrying paid off.

When driving rods near buildings don't try to get the rod too close to
the building as you may hit concrete of the foundation  and not get good
results. Don't ask how I know...

Patrick NJ5G