[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Black UHMW ?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 16 00:41:59 EDT 2014

Good question.  Static control UHMW has carbon black as a filler so it
is probably a bad choice.  Black virgin UHMW that I bought is FDA and
USDA approved, so I think it is unlikely that the coloring agent will
cause a problem.  As an element insulator block or insert it should work
fine since the voltage stress is low.  However, note that it has a low
creep resistance so don't use it as a boom plate.

It is easy to cut with saws, but I find it unpleasant for machining
since it is so slippery, gummy, and springy.  It's very hard to hold any
close tolerances.  Acetal/Delrin, ABS, and nylon are much easier to work
with.  A twist drill needs to have the edged stoned flat a bit or it
augers in, badly on UHMW but also for brass and some other plastics.

Some white UHMW thrust+radial mast bearings for 3" mast came with some
beams I purchased.  After 7 years exposure they did show deep crazing
but were still solid.  That is why I am going with black.

There is always the stick it in the microwave and see how fast it melts
test, although a bit of overkill for HF.

Grant KZ1W