[TowerTalk] Guy anchors in shallow soil

Ken wa8jxm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 21:23:43 EDT 2014

I know we have a solid layer of rock here at 42".   Today I dug a base for a new HBX-56.  Hit the rock at 36" BUT it broke up fairly easily and I was able to get down beyond 4' as needed.     However, I am using an 8000# mini excavator, it pays to have the right toys.  Last time I did a tower base I did it by hand but I was 40 years younger.

I have done fence post holes here with a spud bar.  Took me half a day for a single hole.  Not  fun but it can be done.  Or rent a skid steer with a rock auger (probably $400-500 a day or so.)

You might look for a contractor with a mini excavator to dig the base and also dig holes for your guy anchors.

Those are some options.

73,
Ken WA8JXM