[TowerTalk] Choking on chokes

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Dec 3 18:31:28 EST 2014

Take for instance the 75 meter, center fed dipole whose impedance can
vary widely from well below 50 ohms to above 50 ohms depending on
height.   You are feeding a supposedly balanced antenna with unbalanced
line.  (Good place for a choke).

I said supposedly because a truly balanced, center fed dipole on 75
would be rare.
Any sloping center fed dipole is likely to be unbalance, possibly highly
unbalanced.

I've mentioned the 75 meter, center fed, sloping, fan dipole I have here
a number of times.  I don't remember the impedance as it currently is
connected only to the station in the house.  What I do remember is that
antenna is so highly unbalanced that it took two choke baluns to keep
the RF out of the shack.

Wound with RG-400, or even BuryFlex on 6 cores, the choke is not unduly
heavy and can be supported by any dipole using good wire without a
noticeable increase in sag even when the feedline is LMR-400, or
BuryFlex(TM)

Just use the "cook book" portion of Jim's (K9YC) tutorial and you need
to learn little, if any magnetic theory.

73,

Roger (K8RI)