[TowerTalk] Dipole gain?

Ken wa8jxm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:46:38 EST 2014

And since very few of us operate in free space, dipole gain varies all over the scale dependent on hight above ground and the angle you want to measure the “gain” at.    I have recently seen where a dipole at the proper height has up to 8 dbi gain (at the right height and at a desired angle).

In actuality, “gain” in a non rotatable antenna is a myth.  OVERALL, an antenna has no gain over an isotropic radiator, it just subtracts strength is one direction and focuses it elsewhere.   That’s good if “elsewhere” is the direction you want to communicate, and not good if you want to communicate in some other direction.

Ken WA8JXM