[TowerTalk] Fwd: Dipole gain?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 09:10:50 EST 2014

On 12/9/14, 2:43 PM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>

> The next question then is; Do two horizontal, crossed dipoles, feed
> 90° out of phase have an even power distribution across the
> hemisphere, horizontal across the horizon and circular above and
> below or is there a direction with a higher power density?

CP along the axis and is the direction of maximum radiation
Linear pol (Horizontal) at the horizon, 3dB down from axial
Elliptical everywhere else

The horizontal pattern is a sort of rounded corner square with about 1
dB variation as I recall.

Look up "turnstile antenna" for tons and tons of analysis and data.

George Brown published/invented it very early as a "omni" broadcast
antenna, especially when multiples are stacked to create a very "flat"
Hpol pattern (for TV and FM broadcast0.

There's a variant where the dipoles are fans or bicones to increase the
bandwidth, and another variant where it radiates elliptical or CP toward
the horizon (to reduce the effect of multipath when received by a H-pol
antenna, giving up some link margin in exchange)