[TowerTalk] An alternate yagi feed method

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Dec 14 22:11:59 EST 2014

After perusing through the Mosley.... tech notes, I see they use this alternate feed method on their
various yagis.  DE is split in the middle, and each DE ele half is insulated from the boom.
They  wire the center conductor of the coax to one side....and the braid to the other half.
They then bond the DE ele half..that has the braid, to the boom !  Then no requirement for a balun,
and no pesky CM current flow anywhere. Pattern is not affected.   At 1st glance, it appears they
have an unbalanced DE... fed with coax.  Will this actually work ?   A few weeks ago, I had previously
drawn the exact identical  config on paper...and wondered why it had never been written about in
any book.  I figured it must be fubar, but was still tempted to at least try it.  Apparently  Im 60 years too
late, and am just re-inventing the wheel. Is Mosley out to lunch with their feed system ?

To make the DE 50 ohms, Mosely resonates the DE at a lot lower freq than normal... to increase the feed point Z.
This of course creates XL.   The XL is tuned out with a series cap in each half of the DE, where the ele is split in the
middle.  Very similar concept to a .375 wave vertical, or inverted L on 160m.  Mosley uses a short length of insulated
wire inside each ele to provide the series C.

Jim  VE7RF